Hello, my name is Gwendolyn Lewis.
I have always loved the sound of different accents.
As a curious child, I would do anything to hear and learn other languages. I pursued formal study of Spanish and Latin in school, and was able to convince the language teachers to tutor me in French and Portuguese. While other kids used the wages from their summer jobs to pay for ice cream, bowling, and leopard-print steering wheel covers, I used mine to pay for Portuguese.
Years of Study
I continued learning Spanish in college, studying the writers of Latin America and the Spanish vanguard. I even spent time studying at the Universidad de las Americas in Puebla, Mexico. However, my main interest in college became language in the brain. I received my bachelor’s degree in Neurolinguistics from Carleton College.
My studies in neurolinguistics led me to look at the language abilities of bilinguals who had suffered strokes and other types of brain injury. I wanted to meet the people I had read so much about, so I pursued a master’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Maine, later obtaining work as a speech-language pathologist.
I founded Lingua East in 2016, after years of working with the individuals I had set out to meet. This experience eventually opened my eyes to the need in and around Charlotte for quality communication services for individuals in the community speaking English as a second language.
- English instructor – Latin American Coalition
- Compton Pronunciation of English as a Second Language (P-ESL)
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)
- Certification of Clinical Competence, membership – American Speech, Language, and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Licensed – North Carolina, Florida, and Massachusetts.
- Recipient of so many Awards for Continuing Education (ACE) that I have lost count
- Involved in local woodworking clubs
- Active in the Southeast’s music scene
When we communicate our ideas clearly, people listen. Opportunities appear. Doors open. When you improve your English communication skills, you can:
- Excel at work
- Meet new people
- Explore the world with greater confidence and ease
We all have ideas that deserve to be heard, but sometimes communicating those ideas isn’t easy. With Lingua East, I want to help you let them hear your ideas.
Get Started Get in touch! Drop a line! Give a shout! Holler at me! In other words, Contact.